Sunday, March 13, 2011

Draft 2




Donate Your Organs

Everyone knows that one day you will die but most people do not know when. Imagine if you did know you were going to die and all you need was a single kidney but you were put onto a waiting list with 105 000 other people around the world. There also over 2000 people already on the Australian organ donation waiting list as we speak. But all that could all change if just one person had donated organs that could save your life. So in this speech I am going to convince you that donating your organs is excellent thing to do.

Since 1965 over 30 000 people have been saved and are now living healthy lives because of organ donations and it has also dramatically improved survival rates of humans.

Don't you want to save lives? And it’s as simple as just signing a letter and you can save up to 8 people from death or help up to 70 live a more healthy and happy life from you donation.

18 people die per day while waiting for an organ that would suit their body, if everyone donated their organs there would be no waiting list and many thousands of lives would be saved every year.

Now I am going to tell you a story about a 2 and a half year old boy named tom who died in a car accident by a drunk driver in 2003. After the accident the mother was asked if she would allow her sons organs to be donated and she accepted, Because of her actions there are now two young boys’ alive and living healthy lives. Wouldn’t you be happy if you were tom, and you were in that car accident, knowing that you had saved two other boys life?

Another amazing example of how donation can help other people lives dramatically is in 2008 when 1096 people donated their corneas and as a result 1096 people later that year had restored vision

The reason why you should sign to donate your organs when you are young is because only one per cent of deaths occur under the circumstances that allow you to be a donor. The person is also considered to be a good donor if they have a good medical history and their age is also considered, because their organs may not have fully developed.

If you are on the waiting list it does not work like first come, first served, the organs are chosen by blood type, size and tissue match which can be a very long and nervous wait for patients who have a rare blood type. That’s why some people can be on the waiting list for up to 10 years.

Another reason why people do not donate their organs is because they think that it will cost too much, but in fact it doesn't cost anything at all to donate your organ’s which is why I also think that advertising organ donation is a necessary part of increasing organ donation numbers.

As a conclusion I think that it would be a very wise of you to think about what I have said today and to think about donating your organs to save other people’s lives.

Speech Reflection

The reason why I chose to do my speech on organ donation was because I think that not enough people are aware about the facts about on organ donation and how it can help other people’s lives dramatically. In my speech I wanted to make my audience aware about some of the facts about organ donation, how simple it is to do and how it can save the lives of other.  I think that I have done quite well on informing my audience about those three things in my speech and I hope that my audience is now more aware about organ donation.
Some examples of persuasive techniques that I used was using rhetorical question in the third paragraph e.g. “Don't you want to save lives? And it’s as simple as…” Another technique that I have used in this speech was using facts about organ donation “Since 1965 over 30 000 people have been saved”,  save up to 8 people from death or help up to 70 live a more healthy and happy life from you donation. 18 people die per day while waiting for an organ that would suit their body”.
In my speech I am going to deliver my speech using a very loud voice to capture the attention of my classmates and I have also used a lot of high modality in my speech so hopefully that will also help me capture the attention of my audience as well. And in the intro I talk about some of the facts like “105 000 people on the organ donation waiting list around the world.” Hopefully that will also help me capture the attention of my audience and make people feel like they should also donate their organs to people in need when they pass away. Those are the ways I hope to capture the attention of my audience during my speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment